Sunday, August 9, 2020

Let it snow!

 And snow, it did. Last Tuesday night as we were driving to our regular HASH pub meal, I noticed the raindrops on the windscreen were a little heavy, like sleet. Whilst at the pub, one of our friends showed us a video his daughter had just sent of his granddaughters catching snowflakes in their backyard at Prospect Vale. And by the time we arrived home, it was lightly snowing at Riverside.

We went to bed not realising what lay ahead. At 12.45pm I woke and looked outside. It was snowing, really snowing! I woke Jim and grabbed the camera and we both stood under the open garage doors and took photos.

The next time I woke it was still dark and when I glanced at the digital clock on the bedside table I realised we had a blackout, so I got up to light the fire. It was around 5.30am and the light was slowly dawning outside. Our property was a sea of thick, white snow.

I have never lived anywhere where it snowed. And since we are told the last snow event in Launceston took place in the 1970s, we consider ourselves very fortunate to have had this experience! It was an exciting 24 hours, one I'll never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stephanie the Stick Insect

 Allow me to introduce you to the newest member of our family. We discovered Stephanie under the ever enlarging leaves of the broccolini in ...